Deconstructing The Media With A Bullet... Ways Of Seeing And Why It Matters... The Inside Drop... What The Media Thinks Of You... Pop Culture-Vulture... What's That Stink? All This, And Swearing Too!

Friday, January 20, 2006

HELP NEEDED: Twin Toilets



This isn't a camera-trick, or a joke. These are in the gents toilet in the new section of the Arndale Shopping Centre in Manchester, England.

Question is, why?

Why two toilets? Why? Nothing I can think of fits.

When did you ever, under any circumstances, ever think to yourself:

'You know, I really like these toilets, shame my friend can't come in here too so we could have a chat. Or do the crossword together. While we shit.'

No amount of crazy thought would lead to you think that an additional toilet, next to your own, would be an advantage. I mean, I like to think of myself as a socialable sort of guy, but I've never felt the need to sit down and have a shit next to someone.

I may chat at the urinals. I don't expect too much chit-chat when I'm a-number-twoing, especially not from someone sitting next to me. Very especially not if they are having a shit too.

Maybe, just maybe, it's a thing for fathers and sons. Admittedly, one toilet is slightly lower than the other, but not significantly. Many fathers may need to bring their children into the cubicle with them rather than leave them outside, if they have sole charge of a child. But rarely would a father and child need to shit so urgently that one toilet wouldn't be enough for the both of them. This isn't the set-up in the ladies though, so it can't be designed for parents.


And look at the loo roll! The person on the left would have to ask the person on the right to pass it, or lean across them to get it.

I'm a great fan of disabled toilets, I love their space, en suit facilties and the padded cushion at the back of the pan. I thought they were the pinicle of toilet design, until I had a butchers at this.

Officially these are the most mysterious toilets in Great Britain.

If you have a theory, let me know.

Otherwise, check out these new twin toilets.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The one on the right is much smaller. It is a toilet for parents with kids. You know the mum takes the little ones in at the same time instead of sharing a cubicle?

Hope that helps! ;0)

10:30 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

So missed a bit of the article. The shopping centre near me has a seperate toilet like this, it is neither in the mens or the ladies and is most definately for parents. I asked someone!

10:32 pm

 
Blogger TheWatcher said...

Whoa Old Sad Eyes!

This is exclusively in the men's bog and there's nothing like it for the ladies!

You wouldn't see this set-up up at the old State Pen.

Incidently, I think the expansion of the universe explains 'the light in every direction' conundrum in your profile. But I'm not sure. I can't even get my head around these toilets.

10:58 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be thankful they aren't side by side squat and drop toilets

4:34 pm

 
Blogger adriantai said...

i learn something new again today... this is the first time i m seeing a 'double' toilet... :)

9:35 am

 
Blogger megan said...

i'd still like to think your area has lots of male siamese twins...

9:47 pm

 
Blogger TheWatcher said...

These are two good suggestions.

Conjoined twins should move to Manchester.

Darren - I think you've nailed it, I think these are the toilets the pissed-up have been dreaming of.

10:20 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has nobody heard about Manchesters bid to host the World 3-Legged Race Championships in 2008?
One of the proposed venues is the Arndale, hence the councils decision to invest £40,000 on these. Cllr Jim Spants went on record last year saying that "Manchesters bid to host the [3-Legged] Championships have received a great boost with the introduction of the dual-pan facilities. It has given us a distinct advantage over both Barcelona and Helsinki's bids."

11:01 pm

 
Blogger Nukapai said...

I have a horrible thought that it's so you can shit in one and puke in the other. Ew.

12:06 am

 
Blogger Ian Pye said...

I recall seeing the same sort of setup in a hotel once - and it baffled me then. Can't think why you need two? Maybe they have invented a new sport - synchronised shitting? Maybe its for that emergency situation when one toilet is just not enough for that shit you've been holding back for hours?

The other strange thing I see in hotel toilets sometimes is the phone on the wall. Hands up whose felt the need to make a call while doing a crap.

10:02 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

surprisingly, this is not peculiar to the Arndale:
http://www.bioquest.se/photo_album/Toilets%20around%20the%20world/pages/twin%20toilet%20topola%20serbia.htm

9:23 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

surprisingly, this is not peculiar to the Arndale:
http://www.bioquest.se/photo_album/Toilets%20around%20the%20world/pages/twin%20toilet%20topola%20serbia.htm

9:23 pm

 
Blogger Steve said...

When I was a kid, we went to a Herfy's hamburger place in Eugene, Oregon in the USA That had twin toilets facing each other in the men's room.

They were close enough together my father and I couldn't stand back to back and do our business.

I figured they must have expected gentlemen to sit facing each other, knees alternated with a chess or checkers board between them... couldn't see any boards available though.

1:30 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google